Everyday Life In My Destination

Share your morning routine and daily commute. What do you see? What do you eat? How long do you commute? Are there any places you stop on your way? Describe what your world looks like from the moment you wake up and guide future CMCers along your daily commute to class or
internship.

     The commute. What sounds like a fable to most Claremont College students has become oh so real during my time in Prague. Essentially, my day begins at 7:45am – 8:00am, times unfathomable to me back at CMC. My commute is roughly 25 minutes, and it involves me walking to a metro station (which I still instinctively call the subway), riding it for four stops, then walking to my morning classes at Studio FAMU (Filmová a televizní fakulta Akademie múzických umění v Praze//The Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague).
The one and only
     I know, it is terrible, but I usually do not eat breakfast in the morning, as I only leave myself just enough time in the mornings to get to school on time; I suppose I just prefer my sleep over my nutrition. After heading out of the apartment I walk about 0.6km-- I don’t go by the metric system now, this is just what Google Maps is telling me I do-- or 0.4mi to get to the Anděl (Czech for Angel) Metro station.
The tragically underused in the morning dining room table
     I walk down this huge escalator—stay on the right if you’re just going to stand there and ride it down, go to the left if you plan on walking down— to the metro platform and wait for the metro heading in the direction of the Černý Most (Black Bridge) stop. I take the metro from the Anděl, to Karlovo náměstí  (Charles Square), Národní třída (Avenue of the Nation), Můstek (Little Bridge), and finally get off at Náměstí Republiky (Republic Square).



Views from Anděl

and

View inside of metro car
A view from the bottom of the extremely long escalator (it's tough not to get random people in photos)
     After disembarking I walk up a huge escalator (I am not too proud to admit that I often break a sweat coming up) and commence my 0.6km walk to Studio FAMU. The station spits me out right in the middle of Náměstí Republiky, so I walk past the Palladium shopping mall, and a variety of stores and cafés. I take a right into a smaller street and there it is: Studio FAMU.

 
Signs at the Náměstí Republiky station, little (overpriced) shops in the square, and the Palladium


     Heading back to my apartment requires me doing the same process in reverse, except that I take the metro in the direction of Zličín. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays I have elective courses at FAMU Main, which is far nearer to where I live. They are later in the evening (6:10pm and 8:00pm), so, usually, I have already been home for a while when it is time for me to leave for class, and I just take that 18-minute walk to clear my mind. The air has been nippy at times but it does me well.

"Wait, when do you eat???" Good question. I often went to the cafe at the first floor of Studio FAMU but I am personally not a fan of what they have there [but all pretty cheap, a coffee for 35Kč (Czech Koruna/Crowns, $1.53 USD) and a small sandwich for 45Kč ($1.97 USD), stop by Puzzle Salad for Chicken Bacon Caesar Salad for 129Kč ($5.66 USD). If I'm ever unsatisfied I just get a season strawberry (!!!) pie from McDonald's for only 29 Kč ($1.27 USD). I am grateful that I am living in one of the cheapest European capitals, for this would be half as fun if I was paying twice as much for everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect or Disconnect

Origins of My Host Culture

Reflections